Friday, October 4, 2013

Nursery Curtains



Nursery so far, after curtains & new 2" blinds!
While I’m still working on the nursery, I’m falling very behind on my posts so my second big nursery project was the curtains. After many failed attempts to find my idea of the perfect nursery curtains, I decided it couldn’t be that hard to make them … after all I do have a sewing machine and some creative energy to burn.

Since I’d never made curtains before, I started by googling and doing my research on Pinterest. I searched: how to make easy lined curtains –To my surprise I ran across the easiest post from my pastor’s wife, Robie! Not only was it easy to follow, but she added a cute trim that I had never seen before and really brought my colors together.

My idea was even though it’s a nursery the curtains should feel fun but be able to grow with our child so I didn’t want something too “baby”ish. Not to mention, it’s very hard to find our color combination and have it work for a gender neutral nursery. So I set off to a fabric store with my mom one day and we picked a few fabrics we really loved. You can see them in the pictures below:

We thought in the end, this looked a little too feminine

We ended up deciding on the second fabric down.

This was our runner up, as you can see..it's quite beautiful as well.

They were all beautiful, but the orange with white and brown seemed too girly, and once we matched the other fabric against our rug and crib, it was obvious our choice had to be the blue and gray. I also ran with Robie’s idea of adding the trim and that would help me bring in the orange.

It wasn’t all that difficult, but I did need to dust off the sewing machine and re-learn it. If you look close enough, you can see the stitching isn’t exactly perfect or perfectly straight, but they were definitely made with LOVE!

I personally think they turned out great. In all, they took a week. I left room at the top of the curtain to be able to fit in the rod, but I really loved the clean look of the hooks and so I ended up buying 2 packs of those clip-hooks to hang the curtains and voila!  If you're looking for a step-by-step guide to creating your own curtains, I highly suggest checking out Robbie's post here!

Check out more pictures of the curtains below:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to your birth month Baby K

November is finally here. Some days have gone by more slowly while others have flown by. One thing is for sure, you are very, very loved lit...